If you’re recently purchased a WiFi camera and asked How to protect wireless security camera signals from hackers then this post is for you.
Nowadays, Wireless security cameras are a great way to keep an eye on your home or office when you’re not there.
Also, Homeowners love to pick these types of devices besides being easy to install a wireless system at homes, they are providing a high resolution and have fewer wiring problems as compared to the other wired CCTV cameras.
But the bad news for having a wireless surveillance system and cameras is they can be vulnerable to hackers if not properly secured.
So, If you’re using a wireless security camera in your home. Or property, it’s important to take steps to protect it from unauthorized users.
How do Wireless Security Cameras Get Hacked?
Before we start on how to protect wireless security camera signals from being hacked, you must know the reasons that make hackers access the cameras.
In general, there are a few ways that a wireless security camera can be hacked and all of them are listed below in 2 main categories: Local, and Online hacking.
For online, Let’s talk about the common reason for hacking wireless security camera
- Weak Password: One way is if the camera is using an easily guessed password that is provided with the camera as a default password.
Many people use easily guessed passwords, such as “password” “ admin” or their birthdate. These passwords are weak, don’t meet the menial security level, and can be easily guessed by a professional hacker.
So, if someone tries and tests his hacking methods on your wifi cameras, he will break the protection and gain access to your camera within seconds.
- Out of Date Firmware: Another way a camera can be hacked is if the firmware isn’t updated regularly. Like many other devices such as smartphones, network routers, computers, and software programs, security vulnerabilities are often discovered in firmware, and if your device’s firmware isn’t up-to-date, it can be easily compromised.
- Home Wireless Network and Connected Devices: if your home network isn’t secure it will be a main target for hackers to hack your home wifi signal, and access the other connected devices to the network.
Sometimes the hacking happens because of weak protocols used in the wifi router, the unsecured applications downloaded on one of the mobiles connected to the network, and others.
- Computer or Laptop: Hackers can also gain access to your camera by compromising your computer. If you don’t have any security software installed on your computer, the hacker could gain access to your webcam and watch what you’re doing.
To protect yourself from this type of attack, install a good security suite on your computer and keep it up-to-date.
- Public Wi-Fi: Finally, hackers can also gain access to your camera by exploiting public Wi-Fi networks. If you’re using a public Wi-Fi network, make sure you’re using a VPN to encrypt your traffic. This will help protect your data and prevent someone from hacking into your camera.
For local hacking, there is one reason that is that the hacker uses one of the popular devices to interrupt your wireless security camera signal and try to access it and get the login details.
What happens if my wireless camera gets hacked?
Once they have access to your wireless security camera, the hacker can do whatever they want with the footage, including
- Spying on you and your family or Kids.
- Using it to access more valuable devices such as routers, and your computer that has your important information like login passwords, payment cards, and more.
- Control the camera settings or to turn it off while his partners break-into your house.
- Change the alarm configurations to prevent the camera from making sounds when something wrong happens in the camera range.
To protect yourself from this type of attack, make sure your security cameras are password protected and that the password is strong.
You should also change the default username and password for any other devices that are connected to your home network.
9 Powerful Ways to Protect Wireless Security Camera Signals From Being Hacked
To completely protect your wireless security cameras you need to evaluate your situation and check the devices connected to the home router and see if they are updated or not?
In addition, you have to keep an eye regularly on the camera and monitor the activity logs for any suspicious activity.
This can help you detect and prevent any potential hacks and for more protection for your wireless cameras against hackers do the below.
1- Change the Camera Default Password
One of the best ways to protect wireless security camera signals from being hacked is to change the password regularly. This will make it more difficult for unauthorized users to access your camera’s settings.
Most known security camera brands have a common username and password, once a hacker knows which camera brand you installed in your home, then it’ll be easy for him to attach your cameras and hack your surveillance system as he knows the login credentials of the cam.
2- Install all Software Updates
Another method to keep your wireless security camera safe from hackers is to install all software updates as they become available.
By keeping your camera’s software up to date, you can reduce the risk of being targeted by hackers. Additionally, by updating the camera software you’ll eliminate any slowness in the camera performance.
This way is easy to do, you need to just set the camera to update the software automatically when it’s available, or you can do it manually by checking the camera manufacturer site for the latest software updates.
3- Use The Latest Strong Encryption Protocols
Using strong encryption protocols is one of the best ways to protect wireless security camera signals from being hacked.
In the last years, the old versions of wifi cameras use weak protocols that have a lot of disadvantages such as
- They are less secure and can be easily compromised by hackers. This makes the data that is encrypted with them vulnerable to theft or unauthorized access.
- Weak encryption protocols also tend to be slower and less efficient than stronger ones. This can lead to slower data transmission speeds and decreased productivity.
- More likely to experience errors and malfunctions.
But, Now the new models of wireless security cameras use the latest encryption protocols provided by IEEE.
These protocols can help protect your camera’s settings and footage from being accessed or changed by unauthorized users.
So, before you purchase your home camera make sure it’s using the latest encryption protocols if not then don’t waste your money on it.
4- Activate two-factor authentication (2FA)
If your camera offers a two-factor authentication (2FA) feature then be sure to set it up and activate it.
There are a large number of wireless security cameras out there that use this advantage as an extra layer of security that can help stop hackers from accessing the cameras.
You may ask how 2FA works?
Well, when you enter a certain website or mobile app such as online banking apps, shopping websites that have the important information there is an additional security option above username and password that is used to ensure the account owner is the only person who has the right to access his account.
Once, you set up the settings and activate the 2 Factor Authentication, the next time, after you enter your login details there is a passcode that will be sent to your email or mobile, once you get the passcode, and write it, then you’ll directly enter your account.
as they won’t be able to access your account without the passcode. The passcode can be sent to your phone, so only you will see it and be able to gain access.
5- Turn it OFF or Set it to Sleep Mode
In case you have a camera and fear of being hacked while you’re away then you can turn it off and unplug the power adapter.
Most wireless security cameras are powered by a 12 DC power adapter unless it’s a wire-free camera that is powered by a battery.
So, If you have the first type and want to protect wireless security camera signals in your home from being hacked, all you have to do is to disconnect it from the power.
Unplugging the power will help keep your wireless security camera safe from hackers, who won’t be able to see or access your camera wifi signal as it’s turned off completely.
6- Get Rid of Old Date
Whenever you’re done using your wireless security camera, be sure to delete any old footage from the device.
This is important because deleting old footage will help keep your wireless security camera safe from hackers. If hackers don’t have any footage to look at, they won’t be able to learn anything about your home or daily routine.
Moreover, if you’re on a budget and pick a used wireless security camera from any seller, make sure you reset the camera to the default settings by using the hardware reset button or by using the camera software.
7- Make Your Home Wireless Network Secure
As more and more people move to use wireless networks at home, the risk of hackers infiltrating these networks increases.
However, there are several things you can do to make your home wireless network more secure. Here are five tips:
1. Use strong passwords – Make sure to use strong passwords for your wireless network. This means using a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters.
2. Change your passwords regularly – It’s a good idea to change your passwords regularly, especially if you share them with others.
3. Enable encryption – Encryption will help keep your data safe and secure while it’s being transmitted over the wireless network.
4. Use a firewall – A firewall is an important tool for keeping your computer safe from online threats. Make sure your firewall is enabled and up-to-date.
5. Keep your software updated – Software updates often include security patches that can help protect your computer from online threats. Make sure to install updates as soon as they’re available.
For more tips, Watch the Next Video
And the last tip is to ensure that your wifi signal is strong enough to cover all of your areas, and all of your cams exist in the WiFi range to eliminate your cameras from being connected with other devices. For more, you can read our blog post about How to Boost Wireless Security Camera Signal.
8- Turn off Remote Viewing
The remote online monitoring feature of a wireless security camera can be a great convenience, but it also leaves the camera vulnerable to hacking.
If you are not using the feature, consider turning it off to help keep your camera safe from being hacked.
In case you want to watch and monitor your family, and home while you’re traveling and there’s no ability to disable the remote viewing feature of the camera, then make sure you’re using one of the secured viewing methods such as port forwarding, or VPN (Virtual Private Network).
9- Turn Wireless Camera to Wired
Some people believe that wired security cameras are more secure than wireless security cameras and they are TRUE.
The reason behind this is wired security cameras are not as susceptible to being hacked as wireless security cameras. In addition, wired security cameras send and receive data through cables, not through wifi signals.
So, if you want to protect wireless security camera signals from hackers make sure you turn the wireless camera to a wired one, But how?
In short, each wireless camera has an Ethernet port that is used to link the camera with the NVR before installing it on the selected location, except a few wireless cameras that have only antennas and there is no existence for LAN port.
In case your camera has an Ethernet port and you decide to turn it to a wired camera then bring an Ethernet cable and run it between NVR, and the cam.
If you are Interested Discover How to Record Wireless Security Camera Videos for a Long Time
Overall, using a strong password and encryption, keeping your security camera system up to date, and installing a firewall and antivirus software are all excellent ways to protect wireless security cameras signal from hackers.
Moreover, you can use advanced security methods and protocols to make your surveillance system-protected, or you can contact professionals in Cyber security and ask them about the effective ways that are used to protect wireless devices from being hacked.